Thursday, November 03, 2005

Stench

When I got home yesterday, Karen told me "You have to come to the stairwell." OK . . . .

So I go to the stairwell. And there, I was hit by what is a familiar overpowering smell in our house --- death.

The summer before last, we had something die underneath our house. It was in a space we could not get to. Lucky for us, the smell was contained to one room. But unlucky for us, we learned that when something is rotting underneath your house and you have to tough it out, it can take up to a month for the smell to fade.

So the stairwell stench is kind of upsetting because the smell was noticable in many rooms, not just one. I began to investigate. I got in the crawlspace of our house and didn't smell anything. I got in the attic and didn't smell anything either. I called a pest control guy and he guessed the dead thing was probably between the floor --- you know, a place that is impossible for any human to travel to. Crap. I'm not going to tear up my house and do $10,000 dollars worth of work to avoid a bad smell for a month.

I actually had trouble sleeping last night because the sickly scent of rigor mortis was in the air.

And this morning I got up, fearing the trip downstairs for coffee would make me retch. But the house had been blessed --- the smell was completely gone. Good vibes on Gaston Avenue brutha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home