Monday, January 09, 2006

The Carrie Bradshaw Effect

Even though it's been two years since the stupid show ended, I think countless women have been permanently damaged by "Sex And The City." While I hear fewer women playing the irratating game of comparing themselves to women on the show , I still see many females justifying their actions through the characters on SATC.

For example, my favorite idiotic delight on MTV is True Life, a show that captures young Americans in common predicaments. What makes this show so great is the cluelessness of the humans. My favorite guy ever featured on that show was some New Jersey Tony Soprano wannabe named Tommy who was looking for true love in the techno dance clubs on the Jersey shore one summer. He issued a line that I find myself saying all of the time: "Where's My Cheeseballs?"

Anyway, I justed watched another True Life episode about people who were moving to New York City for the first time. One girl was a recent college grad but long-time spoiled brat who moved to the city for her first job. This idiot was fully aware of the cost of a Manhattan apartment, but because her parents were helping her out on rent, she of course had to get the biggest most expensive one. She ordered all kinds of new furniture that I could have never afforded with my first job, and then her parents paid some guy to put it all together. Brat then watched over the furniture assembly guy like he was some sort of sub-human. I'm not sure if she ever went to work, but she sure did shop --- every day, spending $640 on two shirts during one spree. Then she complains to her parents after a night out on the town full Cosmos drinking that she doesn't have enough money for her $500 electric bill. Daddy paid her bill, as you would expect.

I have no doubt that this woman was living out her own Carrie Bradshaw fantasy. "I'll move to NYC and be just like Carrie --- I'll spend outrageous sums of money and be completely carefree and fabulous. Somebody else will have to pick up the pieces of my financial ruin because I'm fabulous damnit!"

I hate this girl. What I hate even more is that she's living out someone else's dream --- a made up character's at that.

Credit card companies probably lamented the day that SATC announced it was ending. But apparantly, they don't have much to worry about. The Carrie Bradshaw effect is enduring.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

I have not seen one single episode of that show.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

I have. It's actually not bad.

Didn't see it until Aussie-land, though. In the U.S. (at least in Seattle), it's cable-only. Here it's free-to-air (as is "Iron Chef"). What a country! :)

--GG

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home