Thursday, January 19, 2006

Get Your Goth On Suckers


I just about jumped outa my pants after learning that The Sister of Mercy will be playing my tired town. Again, my musical karma must be good because I'm getting a rare chance to see a band that I never thought was possible to see in the United States --- much like Gang of Four a few months ago.

This show will be a ridiculous scene because The Sisters of Mercy hold an iconic status among any kid who wore black in high school and smeared makeup on their face to get that "sympathetic look." Sisters singer and leader and currently only original member Andrew Eldritch got tagged as the godfather of goth round about 1980. And he still wears that crown. Ask any goth person, and they'll tell ya --- Eldritch is bigger than Robert Smith or Peter Murphy. What I love about the goth hero is that now days, he says the only black he wears are socks. He's constantly bemused that an entire legion of people have built their lives around his band's "week-long clothes bender."

2 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Or, you could go to see the great Belle and Sebastian. Much less depressing.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Gye Greene said...

You are extremely luck! Hope they make their way to Brisbane...

--TG

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home