Saturday, February 11, 2006

Thanks for the Help

In need of some boat trip reading material, I went to a huge Half Price Books today to take care of that need. I wanted any of the books by Dan Savage because who wouldn't want to read non fiction written by a gay sex advice columnist who specializes in giving advice to people who have abnormal love-making habits? Anyone who's read his column, Savage Love, will agree that the man can write, is funny and irreverent.

So, I ask a guy at the Half Price info table where I'd find a Dan Savage book. Half Price employees are usually hippies who like to read, and if they haven't read a book, they know where to find it. So the guy says, "Oh, that will be in the political commentary section." Really? Savage can get political --- like many outspoken homosexuals, he's no fan of the current president. But that's not exactly Dan's bag. Then again, I haven't read his books so what do I know? So helpful book store employee leads me to the Political Commentary and points me to the book. Except it's "Savage Nation" by Dan Savage's polar opposite, Michael Savage. Michael Savage is an extreme right wing a-hole radio talk show host (how original) who's made a name for himself by screaming the loudest, throwing out the most hate and wishing AIDS on people. So I thanked the employee for his help, but told him I'd probably not be buying this particular book. I didn't even want to touch it.

They didn't have any Dan Savage anyway. But they had plenty by another hilarious gay author, David Sedaris. I got two of his books and left gay, uh, happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

I was lucky enough to go to a Sedaris reading last summer. As "the Old Gray Wolf" would say, he is true greatness.

8:12 PM  
Blogger whitneydonkey said...

Sedaris is pretty funny. I think his sis Amy is pretty funny too. Hope your trip was great.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I am jealous that you are at sea.

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home